Friday, September 2, 2016

Are You Ready to Guess The Price Of My Bargains?

I love Gene Allen's Gifts!
We are so blessed to have Connie and Becky and
all the other sweet employees--and the store--
 here in Arlington!


This was my third (annual, I hope)
brown bag sale.
I was at the Little Road store door at 10:00 A.M.
on Monday morning.
I tried to find some bells to put on, but I'll have
to look for some before next year!
I had SO MUCH FUN!


It works like this.
For $25 you can fill a big brown grocery bag
as full as possible from the sale area only.
There's also a small $10 bag.
But not for me. 


(Just in case you've forgotten what a brown paper
grocery bag looks like.)

Now it doesn't hurt that I've always considered
myself an efficient packer, if I do say so myself
and, of course, I do.
I surveyed the items and calculated how to fill
my bags with maximum effectiveness!
(It's a wonder they welcomed me back this year!)


I filled 4 bags.  Becky had to put one of them
in a plastic sack. My stuff was bustin' out!
(I leave my pride at the door!)



Here are pictures of my fabulous loot!
You can click on them for a better look!





I realize you can't tell much from these shots.
I can see so much better here in person!
The table to the right is kid stuff, and the table
on the left grown-up stuff.


Here's a little bit about what I got.
There are 14 gorgeous scarves which do not
show up well in the pictures.
(Some are hanging over the window shade cords!)
There are 5 tee shirts over the back of that chair,
ironically green and gold and UT orange themed!
There are 4 very nice wooden jewelry boxes,
2 great scarf, hat, and glove sets,
and 6 electric candles, one set of 3 w/remote!
And lots of miscellaneous treasures!


One of the items of which I am most proud is 32 pairs
of children's short socks from a company called 
"notes to self." 
They have positive words on the bottom--
words like "perfectly made," "awesome,"
"smart," and "blessed."
(Grandparents--we should have bought these socks!)
I got a few pairs of tiny ones--birth to 3 months.
Although most of the items I purchased will go to 
Mission Arlington,
those will go to the Arlington Pregnancy Center!


Then there are games!  That tall stack on the
kids' table is Xoom Cubes, for age 6+--14 of them!
I also got 12 Xoom card games, and 7 very special
books.
Some of these are going to the three schools in
which our church will have volunteer mentors
this year through KidsHope USA!



I feel obliged to be honest here.
I am not entirely unselfish.
I'm hearing some of the items call my name.
One of those boxes of Sweet Shop candy may no
longer be suitable for gifting.
You know, expert bow maker that I am, that
the ribbon may end up with me.
Oh, and some of those electric candles flicker.
I've always wanted the flickering ones...


I only got to the one Gene Allen's this year.
I had an appointment at 12:00 and
one at 1:30 that day. Bummer!
  Next year I'll plan better!


So...take a guess at the original cost of these
items for which I spent $108, including tax!
I meticulously (yes, that's me) added up the
prices on the tags.
This year I realized that I should include the
tax which would have been paid on the
full purchase price, so that I did!


Please send me your guess on my Facebook page.
Whoever gets the closest to "the actual retail value"
(Price is Right talk) including tax,
will win a $50 gift certificate, compliments of
yours truly, Bargain Hunter Extraordinaire, to
the fabulous Gene Allen's Gifts!!!


In order to give everyone a chance to guess,
I will not determine a winner until
Monday, Labor Day, evening!


"May the best guesser win!"












No comments:

Post a Comment