Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Bridging the Gap

This morning I picked up my daily devotional book
Wisdom for Each Day by Billy Graham
and looked at my phone for the date.
It may become obvious to you that this means I
have not been reading it daily as intended.
When I saw that it is July 22nd, my mind 
 flashed ahead to July 27th, our wedding anniversary.
My action followed my mind, and I found the
 message for that day is one I want to share with you.

---------------


"Suppose you are riding down a road and you come to a deep gorge. The bridge has been washed away, and jumping across the gorge is not an option. Seemingly, you have no hope of reaching your destination.

But then you notice another bridge some distance away. 
You watch people cross it to the other side.
It certainly seems sturdy.

What would you have to do to get across?
First, believe that the bridge will hold you. 
Then, put your whole weight on it and walk across.

This illustrates what it means to commit your life to
Jesus Christ. By His death and resurrection
Jesus bridged the gap between us and God--a gap
caused by sin. But simply believing intellectually
that He has done this is not enough. Like that bridge
across the gorge, we must trust Him and 
commit our lives to Him. And when we do, we
will discover that He can be trusted to save us,
because He truly is the bridge between us and God.

Have you committed your life in faith and trust
to Jesus Christ as your 'bridge' and your Savior?"

----------------------


My mind flashed again--to an experience I had in
Roatan, Honduras, at the Gumbalimba Nature Preserve.
In order to achieve my goal there--to see and
be photographed with monkeys and macaws, I
needed to cross this rather scary suspension bridge.





Actually there was a sign to the left of the bridge
pointing to the "Chicken's Walk," the cowardly way
to get across on a path!
Not wanting to be a complete coward, I opted to cross.
I certainly believed it would not "let me down."
I crossed, slowly and carefully.
Our tour guide took this picture.



 I could have looked at this bridge and said, 
"I have complete faith that this bridge would get me across,"
but opted to take the "Chicken Walk."
Only if I stepped on it with my whole weight would I
demonstrate my real and true belief.


For as long as I can remember I have given the
following definition for "belief."
"What does it mean to truly believe?
It means:
To lean one's whole weight upon."
I wonder now if, sometime in my past, I got
this definition from my hero, Billy Graham.




No comments:

Post a Comment