Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I Keep My Calendar In My Head

In May of 2012 I wrote a blog about the sameness 
of my life every day--especially every morning.
Responsible for no one but myself and Charleigh-Girl,
I said I am not only on a fixed income,
I am on a fixed routine!


I groggily hoist myself out of bed.
I pad my way to the kitchen, with an already
perky C-G on my heels.
I open the kitchen window shutters, 
 grab a glass of water and start downing it.
I turn on the coffee maker.
I get the doggy food out and measure it
into her bowl, then try to get it to the floor
before she knocks it out of my hands.
I turn off the outside lights and the alarm.
Every morning.  Day after day.
Exactly the same.



Yesterday vividly showed me that I MUST 
add something to my routine.
Here's why...

I have lunch once a month with my FOLS.
(That's "Friends of Long Standing")
(In lieu of Old)
We meet at the Rose Garden Tea Room and
dine and visit for hours!


Yesterday was the day.  
We show up right at 11:30 and even have
"our" table reserved in a corner.
We've been doing this so long that we also
have "our" server, Juanita.


Juanita seemed confused when she saw me.
And Sandra (one of the FOLS) had not
reserved our table.
And it was so unusual for me to be first.
Hmmm.
But...I sat down, got my Rose Garden tea
and began munching on the wonderful munchies.


After a few minutes, I texted Beverly and
asked her if they were paying me back for last month.
(I had forgotten last month and was actually
in the Milwaukee airport, delayed in my flight
 to New York on Southwest Airlines, when they called.)
I didn't hear from her, so what did I do?
I also texted Sandra and Barbara!


Well, well, well.
At some point--I don't know when,
I don't know how,
I realized that today could hardly, any way, possibly
be the first Tuesday in July!!!!!!!
Yes, that's when we meet.
The first Tuesday of the month. 
And ohhhh, how humiliating.
Juanita knew all along!!!


So, you ask, what am I changing in my morning routine?
I am adding a step.
"Look at your calendar, Linda!"
"Stop depending on your memory, Linda!"
"It's no good, Linda!"


And...remember...there's always always
something to be thankful for:

1.  I realized the error of my ways before Beverly
called me back.
2.  I don't mind eating alone.
3.  The special of the day--salmon croquettes--
was delicious.
4.  I had the munchies all to myself.


Gotta go.  Already forgot to check my calendar
this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment