Monday, December 19, 2016

Bogus Virus Warning!

I spent at least an hour this morning on the phone
with Apple Support.
The week of Christmas, who has time for that?
So...I'm going to tell you about my experience and
hope it might help you avoid a similar fate.


I was browsing Facebook as I remember.
I clicked on something unusual but interesting.
My screen started flashing and telling me that I had
fallen prey to a virus and must call an 800 number
to free my computer.
The message took over the whole screen, and
there was no getting rid of it.
I even forced the computer to quit, but when I
started it again, it was still flashing and warning!


This is a very helpless feeling.
But, if it happens to you, don't panic.
It is a scam about which you can see many videos
on YouTube.
(After, of course, you get your computer unlocked!)


 First and foremost, by all means, 
DO NOT CALL THE 800 number on the screen!!!
That will give the scammers access to all
your information!


Because I have a relatively new Mac, I called
Apple Care.
The consultant knew my problem immediately.
He was able to legally get on my screen with me and 
walk me through the fix.


This message allegedly came from Microsoft.
But no one will ever legally invade your computer
 in this way.


If you go to YouTube and enter something like
my title, you will see many videos about the problem.
I "took a bullet" for y'all and watched one for
34 tedious minutes! 
Want to know why the scammers do this?
To "fix" the problem and protect you from future
problems, they charge
 $299 for 2 years or $499 for 5 years.
My Apple consultant said he had heard of
charges as high as $700!
And this for a problem which does not exist.


I feel like I'm not being much help here.
I don't even remember how "we" fixed my problem.
It was just a few clicks.
I sure don't have any advice about a PC.
Oh, yes I do!
DON'T CALL THE 800 number!


Now that I've done my best to protect my little
chickadees, I've just got to get to wrapping some
packages!
Y'all be careful out there in cyberspace, hear?





2 comments:

  1. This is actually at least the second time this has happened to me, margsarg. So it can happen to anyone.

    ReplyDelete