Saturday, December 3, 2016

The Corn

I know everyone is anticipating an elaborate
corn casserole recipe.
You may be disappointed.

My corn is more about the container than the recipe.
(Well, my family may disagree.)
But, it all started with this Shawnee corn dish, 
given to us as a wedding shower gift in 1956.
I had chosen china and pottery, but a
member of Jack's church
branched out and gave us this unusual gift.


I began taking corn to our family gatherings, of course!
I loved this dish from the beginning.


I don't know where, but I saw a simple recipe
for corn casserole which turned out to be delicious.
It was 1 box of frozen cream style corn and
 1 box of frozen whole kernel corn
mixed and baked together (with butter, of course!)
You'd be amazed at how good it was.


After many years of taking this traditional dish to every
 family celebration, the cream style
was changed--not for the good.
It was more of a whole kernel with sauce.
I felt my casserole was not as good.
But then...  
Disaster befell in the first degree!
The cream style was discontinued!  Completely!
I drove to every store in creation.
I called the company (Green Giant, I think.)


I finally found frozen cream style corn at the
Super I on Forest Hill Drive.
It was not a well known brand, but it was cream style!
So for many years I have made at least a semi-annual
(Easter and Thanksgiving) trip to--Forest Hill,
ironically where the story began!


Oh...one important change to my "recipe."
Now I use only the cream style corn.
It contains plenty of whole kernels.


Do you think you can handle this?
1. Frozen cream style  corn
2. Butter (about a small hunk per box!)
3. Salt and pepper
4. Flour to thicken (T. or so per box)

Microwave the corn--about 4 minutes per box
Mix it all together.  Bake a spell.

I bought 8 boxes for Thanksgiving.
We were having 16 guests.
I have two corn dishes now.
There was not a lot left. The first dish is usually
emptied before all the first servings are completed!


How legendery is this corn in our family?
Well, the first of our younger generation just married.
Miss Emily Marie Oliver (Madeline and Susannah's
 beloved cousin) and Mr. John Deaso
are now the proud owners of their very own corn dish.



P.S.  Isn't it funny to think of all the changes since
we got that corn dish?
Who ever would have believed it would
have its own blog on something called
the internet.


***UPDATE - DECEMBER 2019***


When I last left you, I was getting my corn
at the Super 1 store in Forest Hill.
Shortly after, the store went bye bye.


I won't go through all the evolutions since then,
but I am now driving to Brookshire's in 
Midlothian and buying Pictsweet frozen cream
style corn in 1 pound rolls. 
I am back to mixing it with equal numbers (but 
smaller) whole kernel packages.
And butter. Not much thickening required.


I just hope Brookshire's stays in business
and keeps carrying my corn!
I don't mind the drive at all!



No comments:

Post a Comment