Sunday, January 19, 2014

I'm the Pits as a Dog Mom

I've never forgotten the sweet story of the Metzgers
getting Mabel, their bearded collie.
The seller was to meet them in a parking lot
to let them check her out.
For some reason, Susan couldn't go, so
Rob took Madeline and Susannah.


They didn't want the girls to get overly
excited until Rob had made a decision as to
whether or not she was "right for their family."
So as he was trying to check her out and talk
to the seller, the
girls were hanging out of the car window yelling,
"Is she right for our family, Daddy?"
 

I just realized this morning...
Charleigh-Girl was probably not right for our family.
She is the most hysterical dog I have ever known.
She needs a master who will be her master.
I am a patsy who will be her patsy.


I paid a lot of money to have her trained.
As many of you have probably experienced,
the training involves the owner just as
much as it does the dog. 
It may be easier to teach an old dog new tricks
than to teach an old owner new tricks.
Neither this dog nor this owner learned much.


Don't believe me?
Let me tell you about a day with C-G.
She barks and carries on scarily when I run
water in the bathtub.
She goes crazy over the dispensing of ice from
the icemaker...or the starting of the
dishwasher, which is virtually silent.
Perhaps the worst thing I torment her with is
 opening a canned or liter bottled drink.
Who knows why that is so awful.
She knows I'm going to sneeze before I do,
I think, and reacts, well...hysterically.
I have to sneak around and try to get my
shoes off without her seeing me
She can't be taken in the front yard
because she almost chokes herself on her
leash as she runs at cars.
I love to take her with me in "her" car
(Jack's Navigator) but she
barks at anyone within her "personal space"
which is anyone she can see!


But the deed that did me in was:
She forcefully jumped on Sarah on her last
night here.  It was 
just her usual exuberance, but it was 
quite unacceptable (and painful)!


I realize this is all my fault.
Two people have been firm and consistent 
with her--son Jay and Mary Ellen Jones.
Mary Ellen has trained assistance dogs
and is C-G's sitter when I'm out of town.
She does none of these crazy things around
these two.  She knows they wouldn't tolerate it.


After telling you all this, does it surprise
you that I love this dog ridiculously?
I actually got teary this morning thinking about
the inevitable experience of losing her.
She is good (?) company for me!
Well, she's lots of company, anyway.
She is protection for me.


Here she is one night recently:

I don't know if you can tell, but that's my hand
scratching her chin after I lay down.
(It was hard for me to get a pic!)
 She wrapped her paws around my arm 
and would have let me do that all night!


"Our" training was guaranteed, so
          tomorrow I'm calling the trainer back.            
While I still have some friends left.

 




 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment