Thursday, January 16, 2014

My Nemesis: American Airlines Again

Back in June of 2011 I was mad at American Airlines.
You can read why HERE.
(Actually I'm still mad about that.)


Over the years they've kinda beaten me down.
Now I call just hoping to get someone
 reasonably nice.


My travel club is going on a trip in July that I think
sounds wonderful.
There is one night in a London hotel, then
boarding of the Celebrity Infinity, cruising to 
several places I haven't been and to the
 Norwegian fjords, one of my favorite spots.


I have a bunch of excuses reasons for wanting
to fly business class.  Claustrophobia, and...uh,
 that's the only one I can come up with.
Oh yeah...and old age.


Now I have a friend who has very good luck
buying a "cheap" ticket and using 
Aadvantage miles to upgrade.
(Not that I expected a ticket to London to
be really cheap.)
But...I decided to give it a try.


The first time I called I barely got the question 
out of my mouth before being assured
that nothing I wanted was available.
I was informed that award travel can be booked
11 months in advance.
So, I was not surprised to find
 "no upgrade for me."
(I felt rather humiliated for even asking!) 
If there had been, I could have luxuriated in
business class for only the $$$ price of
the seat plus 50,000 miles plus $700 more!
Plus tax plus $35 maybe!


But, hold on and guess what?
For only 100,000 miles I could fly "free"
round trip in business class.
Plus only $35, I think!
Yea!!!
If it were available.
Which, of course, it was not.


On my second attempt, I got a very nice
lady who told me...
for umpteen jillion miles I can get
an "Anytime" ticket in business class!
Only problem is I don't have 
umpteen jillion miles.


I would have had enough were it not for
a big mistake I made.
I think it was about a year ago that I
thought it would be a great idea to get a
Capital One credit card because
double miles were earned for each
dollar charged, and there was 
a bonus for applying.


When I asked to transfer the miles I had earned
to my Aadvantage account, I found they were
not miles at all, but points with
some convoluted way of use.
I was semi-hysterical over that one.


All right.  Maybe I could buy the extra
miles I need.  
Way to go!  There is a bonus right now if I 
buy miles.  
However, the price is not only H I G H,
it turns out it is plus plus, adding
$97 to the already ridiculous cost!!!
So that's out.
(The prices you see quoted on line are not
the prices you pay.
It's always plus plus!)


Well, maybe I could borrow some miles
from my family.
You're not going to believe this!
THAT COSTS, TOO!
Transferring from one account to
another must be VERY difficult (NOT)
because the few miles I need would
be $350 plus tax plus $35!!!
Just to transfer fron one Aadvantage
account to another!
Then to pay them back I would
have to pay another $385!


Believe it or not, I think I have found a
way to proceed.
(You notice I didn't say "a way around this."
One does not get "around" AA.)
Instead of my fam loaning me miles,
they are going to "purchase" my ticket one way
 with their miles, plus only $2.50 tax!
(Plus $35, I'm quite sure!!!!!)
I'll get the ticket the other way!
Then I will pay them back by purchasing
tickets for them!
I'm cautiously excited.



I'm also wiped out of Aadvantage miles
from here to eternity.
Thank goodness I won't need any
to get to Heaven!





2 comments:

  1. Oh.my.gosh. We should co-author a blog called Why American Airlines Makes Me Pull My Hair Out. They are exhausting. On the phone, on flights, in airports...exhausting. I get tired just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in, Shay. I forgot to say that I held on the phone 38 minutes to have my first call answered!

    ReplyDelete