Tuesday, August 26, 2014

"Are Your Panties in a Wad?"

I was truly like a wide-eyed kid when I walked
onto the plane to bring me home.
It was a new American Airlines 777 300 ER,
and I've never seen anything like it.
The business class seats were sort of in an "S"
configuration so that you had no one beside you.
Neither could I see the person in front of me.
Super private.
Here is my best (not very good) picture.

!

The TV flips out toward you at the touch of a button.
The blanket area is where your feet go when
you recline the seat to a sleeping position.

Most impressive was the fact that as I was placing
my bag in the overhead bin, the captain
(or one of the captains)
came down the aisle, greeted me, welcomed me,
and shook my hand!

Here is my best shot of the controls for the seat and TV.


I didn't have a clue.
I did manage to find my headphones, but I could
not find where to plug them in.


Enter SFA #1.  (That's Surly Flight Attendant.)
I felt like a dummy asking such a basic
thing as where to plug the headphones in,
and she certainly seemed to agree that I was.
(a dummy.)
She reached over and jerked open the door to a
 compartment beside me and gestured toward an area, 
 which I had to use a mirror to see!
Let me just say, it was neither basic nor easy.


There was also...SFA #2.
They were really like something straight from a 
Carol Burnett routine.
Cold, unsmiling, just going through the absolutely
necessary motions with as much UNenthusiasm
as they possibly could possibly
muster up.


Although I had no idea how to work anything
I wouldn't have dreamed of asking the SFA's for help.
Somehow I did manage to get a game going on my TV,
and a friendly male FA from the other side of the 
plane came over and acted like he was going
to make a play on my screen.
I was able to ask him how to work everything
and even got to watch a movie
on the way home.


At one point I got a water bottle out of my
compartment.
I twisted the lid until my hand was raw but
couldn't get it open.
I decided to press my FA call button.
Guess what happened?
Good guess.  Absolutely nothing.
Thank goodness I didn't have an emergency.

I probably would not have taken the time to
write and complain about this, even
though it was a huge deal to me that I had burned
approximately 1 jillion AAdvantage miles
to be in 4J!!

However, when we deplaned, I learned something
that made me mad enough to compose a complaint.
The lady on my right here


was my 'idol' on the trip.
Her name is Betty Bob, and we celebrated
her 87th birthday at dinner one night!
She in great health and is sweet as can be.
She wore that cute hat which had souvenir pins
all around it from her travels.


Betty Bob had splurged and was in business
class, too, just a few rows behind me.
She fell victim to Surly Flight Attendant #2.
Poor Betty Bob made the
 tremendous, horrible, unforgivable mistake
of asking SFA #2 to help her get her bag
down from the overhead when we landed.
(Don't forget she's 87 years old.)
SFA #2: "Well, how did you get it up there?"
Betty Bob: "A gentleman helped me."
SFA #2: "Well, I suggest you get him to help
you get it down."

Okay.  That did it!  Even if I don't have my bag 
unpacked, I'm writing AA.

I received a fairly sincere sounding letter of apology
from Customer Relations,
although I'm sure the only original thing about
it was my name in the address line.


At least I tried.  I did all I could do, except...


 I just think it would have been so funny if I
had motioned to SFA #1 that I had something
to whisper to her.
She leans down, and I say,
 "Honey, you can tell me...
your panties are in a wad today, aren't they?"
Then she would storm back to SFA #2 and
say, "That woman (probably not what she
would have called me) in 4J just asked me if
my panties are in a wad!"



I'm laughing so that I can hardly type just
thinking about it!
Of course, who knows what kind of misery
they would have dealt me the rest of the flight!





 


















1 comment: