Saturday, August 16, 2014

Impressive Pins on my Map


I'm really afraid that's mostly what our first 3 stops were!
We went first to the Faroe Islands,
then to Reykjavik, Iceland,
and on to the Shetland Islands.

Our world map before:
and after!
Three new pins!!!

Iceland was actually on my bucket list
(but I don't think you should necessarily put it on yours!)
When we went to Norway in 1999,
we sailed up the coast to the northernmost
point in Europe, the Nordkapp.
(You can see the pin for it on the "before" map!)
Our return was to be by way of Iceland,
our final port.
We had a medical emergency onboard, however,
and had to steam directly back to Harwich.
Didn't even get to wave at Iceland. 

*********************

First stop: The Faroe ("Pharoah") Islands
This is the most memorable thing I saw:


It is a church.
No, I don't know what kind of church it is. 
Except pretty.  It is a pretty church.

I almost forgot.  I also saw this:
They reminded me of Charleigh-Girl.
(Without her trips to the spa.)
However, unless you're convicted that you 
really want to see this church and
these doggies, just say "no" to Faroe!

*******************


Next: Reykjavik--a slightly different story--
because of this:


Now I got all excited and tried to find the movie
The Blue Lagoon for a preview!
Not only could I not find it, it was not filmed here as
I assumed, but in Fiji.
 

The Blue Lagoon is a unique geothermal spa in a
bed of lava.
It is a beautiful blue color, mineral rich, 
 and very warm--98 to 102 degrees F.
There was steam rising and it sprinkled rain,
actually quite a pleasant combination!
For everything except my hair-do! 



One does not "swim" in the Blue Lagoon.
One "bathes!"
Since I was the only one out of our group who
chose to "bathe," I have no pictures (good!)
As with the Dead Sea mud, there were minerals to
rub on your face and body.
I was really disappointed in the lack of
noticeable improvement!
But I did find this experience to be unforgettable!

********************

Guess what I saw here!
No Shetland sheep dogs, but
Shetland ponies!


"Honey, your mane needs a dip in the Blue Lagoon!"


Of course, this animal lover was crazy
about these cute ponies!
This was actually the very first excursion I booked!
And now I can say I've been to Scotland!
Sort of.

********************


Counting days at sea, this gets us up to Day 8,
believe it or not!
Many of you have asked me, "What was your
favorite port?" about this and other cruises.
I usually answer, "The ship!" 
This cruise was certainly no exception.


Tomorrow I'll tell you about some of the happenings
onboard the Celebrity Infinity!


"I travel a lot;
I hate having my life disrupted by routine."

                                            Caskie Stinnett 





No comments:

Post a Comment