Thursday, August 28, 2014

Something You Need to Know

Before I switch gears from vacation to serious stuff,
I need to tell you something important.
Very, very important.
Especially if you are over...say, about 50 years of age.


I never really thought about Jack getting
Alzheimer's,
even though his mother suffered from the disease.
 If that's surprising, then even more surprising is that
I had never given one single thought to
long term health care insurance.
I'm not altogether sure I'd even heard of it.


So what changed?
As I remember, it was a total God thing.
In 2000 I went to Bible Study Fellowship 
for the first time.
  In our small group we went around the circle
telling just a bit about ourselves.
The lady sitting beside me said that her
(very young) husband had had Alzheimer's Disease
for several years.
It was like a jolt of electricity to me.
I was pretty sure my husband was starting
down that road, but I hadn't told
anyone yet.

 

My friend had been unable to have her husband
at home for a long time.
One of the things I learned from her
was how financially devastating 
assisted living facilities are.


 It was too late to get
long term health care insurance on Jack.
The fact that he was already taking Aricept
disqualified him.
Of course, my plan did not include the need
for a facility anyway, as detailed HERE.
But I did pursue a policy for me
with John Hancock.


The yearly premium for my policy is less than
two weeks of care for Jack at Silverado.
(Not  a typo--weeks, not months!)
I do acknowledge that Silverado tips the
scales on the expensive side, but
no care facility is inexpensive.
And Jack was there 17 months.



My policy also includes provision for some at home
care like I originally envisioned for Jack.
I actually need to contact my agent and review
its provisions.
There are other benefits in the event the
policy is not needed, I believe.



Maybe many of you have this coverage.
If you don't, I hope knowing about our situation
will encourage you to check out
long term health care insurance.


















No comments:

Post a Comment