Sunday, April 28, 2013

I Dance! I Live! I Love!

My iPod (actually now it's my iPhone--I lost my iPod) has 
a lot of different kinds of music on it.
Much of it is contemporary Christian, and much is secular.
Today I'm thinking about some songs that are secular
but have messages with great value--
A type of crossover, to me at least.  
I remember that Susan told me about this first song.  I don't remember the year, but it was before the time of iTunes (for me anyway), because I went right out and bought the CD.  She said she was proud of me for keeping us going after the disheartening diagnosis.  Her comment and this song were very important to me. 

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
And when you make the choice to sit it out or dance...
I hope you dance! 
  
 I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you make the choice to sit it out or dance...
I hope you dance!  

I guess I may have taken the song literally--we went to General Dynamics Recreation and took dance lessons!  We weren't too successful, but we had a great time trying. 

************** 

Then there's this one--I imagine most of us have given some thought to it:

...someday I hope you get the chance to Live Like You Were Dyin'
I might not have the courage to go sky divin' or the strength to go Rocky Mountain climbin', but...
I loved deeper, and I spoke sweeter, and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying...
And I took a good long hard look at what I'd do if I could do it all again...
And I said someday I hope you get the chance to
Live Like You Were Dyin'  
('cause we all are, you know!)

**************

I placed the newer ones first.  I can't, however, omit the one which was sung at our wedding and played at our 50th anniversary celebration and again at Jack's funeral.

I'll be loving you...Always, with a love that's true...Always.
When the things you've planned need a helping hand, I will understand...Always, Always.
Days may not be fair...Always; That's when I'll be there...Always.
Not for just an hour, not for just a day, not for just a year, but
Always.

**************

This one is surely a favorite!

I see trees of green, red roses too; 
I see them bloom for me and for you;
And I say to myself..."What a Wonderful World."

I see skies of blue, clouds of white,
The bright blessed days, the dark sacred nights;
And I say to myself..."What a Wonderful World."

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky,
Are also on the faces of people going by.
I see friends shaking hands, saying "How do you do?"
They're really saying, "I love you."


I hear babies cry...I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know.
And I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World."   
   


    
 

2 comments: