Thursday, April 18, 2013

The L-C-G Wildlife Sanctuary!!

That would be the Linda-Charleigh-Girl Wildlife Sanctuary, and we are just about tuckered out over here!  The responsibility is a lot for us to handle!

Just take yesterday, for example.  Not only were the durn squirrels taunting C-G, they were drinking out of the pool.  The pool that the durn ducks were getting in repeatedly.  When I'd sic Charleigh on them, the squirrels would run, but the ducks are getting braver.  They swim back and forth very nervously, but the "enforcer"  sometimes has to expend quite a bit of running and barking effort to get them to vamoose!  Now don't get me wrong...I think the ducks are very pretty, but Jack thought they were so nasty that I feel obliged to run them off by any means possible.

Then there was the little baby bird.  It hopped right up to the window with C-G carrying on hysterically on the inside.  I don't know why I didn't take a picture of it.  It would fluff its tiny wings occasionally.  Finally I realized...it couldn't fly yet.  I did not know how to help a baby bird.  I had to leave early to go to a play, and it was huddled up by my air conditioner, still alive.  And its parents were flying around squawking ferociously!  I was going to give it some bird seed when I got home, but it was gone.  I was very sad.

Perhaps you read about my late night encounter with a "rat" outside that same window!  Did get some pictures of it--still around today.

I guess you can see why I thought it was a rat, but it's actually a baby possum.  I can't get over how tame it and the baby bird were, coming right up to the window.  In spite of this:

She didn't run or bark at the possum.  I didn't give her a chance with the baby bird!

Getting closer!




What a day!  Then we heard the horrible wind and rain during the night.  Get back with you later.  The girl and I need a nap!


4 comments:

  1. What an ordeal! We didn't need to travel for an hour to get to the other wildlife sanctuary; you have one in your backyard. What in the world are you going to do about the possum? Have you seen the mother? Oh, CG must be going CRAZY! Hope you got your nap and things have settled down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought my 'visitor' was a rat at first too. Turned out it was an evil little possum that chased me to the mailbox!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwwww!!! I would be screaming like a little girl and standing on top of my kitchen table. While holding my handgun. Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, girls! This little possum is not a threat!! I don't know about its parents, however, who seem to be living under the gazebo, according to C-G's sniffing!

    ReplyDelete